Installing Socket.io, NPM, and Centos 5.x19 Sep 2011
Centos 5 ships with a pretty old version of
tar, that's incapable of unpacking one of the socket.io dependencies: websocket-client-1.0.0.
If you try to
npm install socket.io, you'll hit a bunch of errors like:
npm ERR! tar "-mvxpf" "-" "-o" "-C" "/tmp/npm-1313157472906/1313157485167-0.7352736354805529/contents/package.npm" tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword LIBARCHIVE.creationtime
- Download this repacked tar of websocket-client-1.0.0
npm install websocket-client-1.0.0.tar.gz
npm install socket.io
Since the websocket-client dependency is now installed, this should install cleanly.
HowTo (if this post is out of date)
npm install socket.io --verbose
- Note the temporary name of tgz above the first ERR line, e.g.
- Search backward from that line to find the download source for that temporary filename, e.g.
- Download that file to a box with a newer version of tar, and unpack the archive to an empty directory.
- Repack the archive:
tar zcvf websocket-client-1.0.0.tar *
- Follow 'The Fix' steps, above.